English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call somebody who asks a question and somebody who answers a question?

I have exhausted the thesaurus with no real luck... any ideas?

EDIT: It is in reference to this - or any other StackExchange - site in which the question is posed by X and answer is submitted by Y.

EDIT 2: In the context of StackExchange, and the fact I need plurality (something I neglected to mention oooops), I have decided upon "Posters" and "Respondents"...

share|improve this question
@kia: That odd question is about comments only, not asking and answering questions. – ShreevatsaR Feb 17 '11 at 21:17
@ShreevatsaR: You are right, indeed. – kiamlaluno Feb 17 '11 at 21:31
@slotishtype you should maybe answer your own question here with the EDIT 2 answer you chose. Yes, you are allowed to answer your own questions. – Travis R Jan 23 '15 at 0:19

10 Answers 10

up vote 14 down vote accepted

Questioner/Asker, Answerer, Answerer

answerer (plural answerers)
1. a person or thing that answers or responds

Also see here: Should I prefer "asker" or "questioner" for a person who asked a question?

share|improve this answer
+1 ... if I could – slotishtype Feb 17 '11 at 12:42
You can accept my answer as the answer to your question, questioner, and let me be the answerer of this question – mplungjan Feb 17 '11 at 12:47
Ah ha .. a witty aside...done. – slotishtype Feb 17 '11 at 12:49
+1 (snicker) Based on your answer, that should have said asker. – Tragicomic Feb 17 '11 at 12:51
hehe, got me... – mplungjan Feb 18 '11 at 20:24

May I suggest: Questioner/Respondent

share|improve this answer
You may....I'd upvote but the system won't allow. – slotishtype Feb 17 '11 at 12:40
I was going to say Questioner/Questionee. Respondant seems more professional. – WernerCD Feb 17 '11 at 18:00
Gotta throw my weight behind this one. The individual words may exist, but Asker/Answerer as a pairing? No way! Give me Questioner/Respondent any day! – FumbleFingers May 20 '11 at 0:03
Respondent doesn't imply an answer given, hence is not suitable as answer to this question. It is however a response. – Paul Jul 14 '15 at 13:42

You could consider Inquirer, Questioner or, for instance Interrogator. Meanings differ slightly, I'd normally go for one of the first two. The third can be used when someone asks multiple questions, i.e., interrogates someone else.

Edit: respondent has been suggested by others.

share|improve this answer
It's actuall in reference to this, or any stack exchange site, in which questions and posed by "questioners/posters" and answers are submitted by "respondents/answers". Trying to find the most appropriate usage though. Cheers btw. – slotishtype Feb 17 '11 at 12:41
I agree with you, inquirer is the right word. Asker is not on the Cambridge dictionary – Hola Soy Edu Feliz Navidad Mar 31 '15 at 7:48

Sometimes they're called counselor and witness.

share|improve this answer
lol I love the twist on circumstance. Bravo sir. – WernerCD Feb 17 '11 at 18:00
Querent and Oracle have a similar bent. – neontapir Nov 8 '12 at 6:36

Asker and responder come to my mind first - these terms may be weird in your use case though, as I have a technical background.

share|improve this answer

Questioner and Answerer do work just fine in this context.

But other common ones, depending on context:

Questioner - asker, inquirer, querier, analyst, examiner, interrogator, investigator

I don't have any alternatives for answerer other than respondent

share|improve this answer
Don’t you mean respondENT? – Pitarou Feb 27 '12 at 21:52
yep - fixed. Thanks# – Rory Alsop Feb 27 '12 at 21:52

In addition to suggested ones, you may even use interviewee and interviewer in suitable context.

share|improve this answer
Asker and Askee ? – ADTC May 31 at 9:33

Try a thesaurus: asker answerer. I like enquirer and respondent.

share|improve this answer

I use querent for the person asking questions. In the Stack Exchange context, the folks who answer questions are experts.

share|improve this answer

Very late update, but I believe the convention now to use OP (short for Original Poster) for the person asking the question?

share|improve this answer

protected by RegDwigнt Feb 27 '12 at 22:35

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.