English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Something that is shaped something like an L such as a bracket. What is the proper term to describe this shape geometrically.

share|improve this question

closed as unclear what you're asking by Janus Bahs Jacquet, user49727, Hellion, John M. Landsberg, choster Sep 24 '13 at 22:10

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

A line? What do you mean only two sides? – terdon Sep 24 '13 at 17:57
Yes in a 2D space it would be a line. I guess I was trying to speak of an L shaped object in 3D space, which doesn't actually have 2 sides. bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/design/images/… Is there a term more specific than 'L' shaped, or polygon? – Tom Swifty Sep 24 '13 at 18:03
Sorry, I still don't get your definition. How is that different from an F or Y or T shape? Perhaps you could use angle? Give us some more shapes that match the definition and some that come close but don't. – terdon Sep 24 '13 at 18:08
Often called a "wedge". – Greg Hullender Sep 24 '13 at 18:22
Thanks @GregHullender !! – Tom Swifty Sep 24 '13 at 18:24
up vote 1 down vote accepted

In 2-D, if the line does not enclose a space (e.g., a hexagon) then a figure with two connected straight lines can be termed "perpendicular line segments" or a "vertex." Vertex is more general, p.l.s. means the two lines are at 90 degrees to one another.

But a bracket is a solid object, a drawing of a bracket could be in 2-D or 3-D. If your 2-D, L-shaped object were drawn showing the width of the two segments then the general term would be a polygon. Imagine a cross with the top part lopped off, the two parts each has a width and a length.

share|improve this answer

I think what you call it would depend on the context.

I'd just call it an 'EL' in general.

But if you're looking at any angle and not just a right-angled L, I think you could call it an open-triangle although you wouldn't call it a single word.

share|improve this answer
The context is writing a math word problem about "EL" shaped brackets. Are you recommending EL-shaped or L-shaped? – Tom Swifty Sep 24 '13 at 18:11
@TomSwifty I meant to use the letter "L" but wrote the pronunciation in capital letters. Thanks for that reminder. – itsols Sep 24 '13 at 18:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.