English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What do you call that person who wants others to behave like them?

share|improve this question
Narrow-minded, inadequate and insecure spring to mind, but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing you want – bamboo Sep 19 '13 at 15:52
An average human. :^) Though if you're looking for someone who wants others to act in a uniform way (not necessarily like them, but like everyone in a group), they'd be a "conformist". Not quite what you're looking for though, so not worth giving as an answer sadly. :( If I think of anything that better suits your needs, I'll be returning here to post an answer. – Zibbobz Sep 19 '13 at 15:53

I'd call someone like that a moraliser...

moralise/moralize - to reflect on or express opinions about something in terms of right and wrong, especially in a self-righteous or tiresome way.

...or perhaps a prescriptivist...

prescriptive - making or giving injunctions, directions, laws, or rules.

Most other words in this general area (conformist, traditionalist, conservative, etc.) are usually used to mean a person who wants to be like others, rather than wants others to be like him.

share|improve this answer

I would go for missionary and proselytizer

a person strongly in favor of a program, set of principles, etc., who attempts to persuade or convert others.


to convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit.

Another word is control freak (although this can be applied in a different context as well, and is rather informal)

a person having a strong need for control over people or situations.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.