English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any single word that is used to indicate a person who reads the psychological aspect of people's handwritings (like what they believe and what type of people they are, etc.)?

share|improve this question
up vote 13 down vote accepted

The study of handwriting is called graphology, and the person who is inclined to do so is a graphologist.

share|improve this answer
Thanks. That gives me my answer. :) – ikartik90 Feb 15 '11 at 10:52
Just so you all know, my phrenologist says that graphology is a questionable science... – oosterwal Mar 4 '11 at 3:02
So does our local homeopath. – Puzbie Feb 1 '13 at 9:21

That would be a graphologist.

share|improve this answer
Gotcha! (by 12 seconds) – F'x Feb 15 '11 at 10:46
I would have been first, but SE wouldn't allow me to post my single-word answer :) – The English Chicken Feb 15 '11 at 10:48
I like your answer better though, so +1 – The English Chicken Feb 15 '11 at 10:50
That was a good sporting spirit. +1 :) – ikartik90 Feb 15 '11 at 11:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.