English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm programming a web application and I need to name the "class of things" that are notes and coins.

So far the best I could find was "currency piece".

Is that the correct way of naming the notes and coins of a currency? Are there any alternatives?

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

I would go with cash, which is defined by NOAD as “money in coins or notes, as distinct from checks, money orders, or credit: the staff were paid in cash | a discount for cash

share|improve this answer
Cash! Of course! Thanks a lot! – egarcia Feb 15 '11 at 10:48

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.