Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What do you call the tip on an umbrella?

Yes, since tip means 'the usually pointed end of something', I know that tip itself can be used for — i.e. umbrella tip —, but I'm looking for a single word which has that meaning?

share|improve this question
I'd call it "the pointy thing that the people carrying the umbrella always seem to forget, while pinching everyone walking beside/behind them with it". Although, of course, the other answers are much more polite (and appropriate). – skymningen Sep 13 '13 at 12:44
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about something that is easily found online - general reference. – Kristina Lopez Sep 13 '13 at 13:29

2 Answers 2

The spike at the end is called the End. It can have a ferrule right at the end or be left unadorned.

Parts of an umbrella

Richtom80 at the English language Wikipedia | Link to image

share|improve this answer
Nice find, +1, trust an Englishman to know the jargon of umbrellas :). – terdon Sep 13 '13 at 16:13

According to this site it is called a finial or ferrule

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.