English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For instance, if someone says to you, "I like cake," and you reply, "I like to take care of my body," your response is a passive-aggressive way of implying that they don't like to take care of their body because they eat cake.

I'm looking for an adjective to describe this type of response, something akin to passive-aggressive but more specific to the situation.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Haughty (“Conveying in demeanour the assumption of superiority; disdainful, supercilious”) and supercilious (“Arrogantly superior; showing contemptuous indifference; haughty”) seem relevant, along with some of the other terms in those definitions (eg arrogant, disdainful, and contemptuous) along with related words or phrases like holier-than-thou, sanctimonious, hoity-toity, and stuck up.

share|improve this answer
All appropriate - and let's add "rude"! – Kristina Lopez Sep 10 '13 at 17:47
This helped me think of one that is as close as I can find: definition 1b of sententious. – YPCrumble Sep 10 '13 at 21:53

Perhaps snarky

said in a way that is intended to make someone feel stupid or bad

share|improve this answer
You could call I like to take care of my body a snark. – ghoppe Sep 10 '13 at 21:18

Synonyms of http://thesaurus.com/browse/critical:

disparaging, belittling, biting, censorious, condemning, cutting, saracastic, scolding seem to be especially on point.

share|improve this answer
Can you add a def for saracastic? – jwpat7 Sep 10 '13 at 19:46
'Censorious' is particularly good here as it picks up the indirectness of the rebuke. – EleventhDoctor Sep 11 '13 at 15:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.