English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the name of the horizontal division line? Is there a name for it other than "division line?

enter image description here

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by RegDwigнt Sep 5 '13 at 20:44

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions that can be answered using commonly-available references are off-topic. A list of these references can be found here: List of general references" – RegDwigнt
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Wikipedia article on division, the very first sentence in the very first subsection: "Division is often shown in algebra and science by placing the dividend over the divisor with a horizontal line, also called a vinculum or fraction bar, between them." – RegDwigнt Sep 5 '13 at 20:47
This symbol is in some places referred to as a lemnisc – New Alexandria Sep 7 '13 at 2:01
up vote 7 down vote accepted

Vinculum is a word used broadly to describe any horizontal line in mathematical symbols. The line between numerator and denominator, the line above the recurring decimal, etc are some examples of vinucula.

More commonly, the line is called a fraction or division bar.

On a related note, the '/' sign denoting division in a/b is called a solidus and the ÷ sign in a÷b is called an obelus.

share|improve this answer
Oops, I find I have repeated others' answers here. Sorry, I didn't see them when adding this answer. – Bravo Sep 5 '13 at 20:25
Your answer may have echoed what others said, but it is arguably the best of the answers, since it offers more detailed information than the others. I for one did not know that the line above recurring decimals was also called a vinculum. (The correct plural is vincula, though; not *vinculi) – Janus Bahs Jacquet Sep 5 '13 at 21:25

The horizontal line is called a: Vinculum

DEF: A vinculum is a horizontal line used in mathematical notation.

I think you'll find that the term is infrequently used and it's more likely someone would say x over y or x divided by y

share|improve this answer

the line between the numerator and denominator is known as the fraction bar or division bar

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.