English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, words like "left", "right", "close to", "above", "across from" etc. I've found on a lot of websites they're called "directional words" but I was wondering if there was a more technical term. I'm thinking of it as a subset of prepositions, words that only indicate some kind of relative position.

EDIT: I think one possible term is spatial adposition.

share|improve this question
Most prepositions have some sort of spatial sense, but it's often metaphorized until all one can find is a figurative and often idiomatic sense. To be clear: there are no English prepositions that can ony indicate spatial position. There are a few English words that can only indicate time (when, then, during, endure, duration), but none for space. Space is a metaphor most of the time. – John Lawler Sep 3 '13 at 2:28
And probably you ought to read the Deixis Lectures, especially the first two. – John Lawler Sep 3 '13 at 2:30
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Perhaps orientation

the position of something in relation to its surroundings: The church has an east-west orientation (has one main side facing east and the opposite side facing west).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.