English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to think of a word used to describe someone who is intentionally oversimplifying an argument by making a statement that is technically true, but ignores a lot of issues. Its an adjective similar to describing the person as being intentionally obtuse or too clever for their own good.

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Are you looking for "disingenuous?"

share|improve this answer
Thats it, thanks. – Lawton Aug 31 '13 at 19:47

Another take on this could be "reductive"?

share|improve this answer
Haven't actually heard it used like that before. Similar but doesn't imply that the author is doing it intentionally, which is what I was going for – Lawton Aug 31 '13 at 22:17

I might go with "glib" as a synonym for "superficial." However, neither of those are really about being too clever.

When I think of "too clever," I think of "cocky" of "flip."

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.