English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Can "chalkboard" and "blackboard" be used interchangeably? If I have a green chalkboard, can I still call it a blackboard, or would that be incorrect?

Also, I have heard that "blackboard" is used more than "chalkboard" in certain areas, and am not sure about how true this is.

share|improve this question
Technical terminology for frequently-used artifacts varies widely. In general, a green blackboard is called a blackboard. Either may be called a chalkboard. Consult local native speakers before using any other names. – John Lawler Aug 21 '13 at 20:27
Related: Do you say 'white blackboard'? – Callithumpian Aug 22 '13 at 1:25
up vote 1 down vote accepted

A blackboard is:-

a sheet of smooth, hard material, especially dark slate, used in schools, lecture rooms, etc., for writing or drawing on with chalk.

whereas a chalkboard is:-

A smooth hard panel, usually green or black, for writing on with chalk; a blackboard.

A greenboard is:-

a green chalkboard or blackboard.

Note that the second reference also defines chalkboard as:-

(Social Science / Education) a US and Canadian word for blackboard

which leads us to the nub of the matter. I won't pussyfoot around the point here; greenboard and chalkboard were invented to avoid including the word black, which offends the political sensibilities of some people.

share|improve this answer
The cheeseboard is different altogether. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 21 '13 at 21:21
I'm not sure I believe this political correctness bit at the end. Most of the increase in frequency of chalkboard happened between 1945 and 1960, which I think was before most people were worrying about offending black people. See Google Ngrams. – Peter Shor Aug 21 '13 at 23:41
And in fact, it seems likely that the term "chalkboard" had nothing to do with the color of people's skin. From this 1953 book: If this information had been written several years ago, the title of this topic would have been "Illustrate on the Blackboard." Chalkboards now are made of several materials and come in various colors. Because of this the term chalkboard seems more appropriate. – Peter Shor Aug 21 '13 at 23:51
The chalkboards/blackboards in the parochial school which I attended as a kid were not exactly smooth in texture. They had fine and even rasp texture to enable them to hold onto the chalk drawn on them. A board is considered for replacement when its surface loses its rasp texture and becomes too smooth to retain chalk. Also, it is the raspness (i.e. non-smoothness) that allows the annoying chalk rasping sound we used to annoy each other when the teacher was not around. Incidentally, most of the blackboards were dark green, because of the same coating as on a table-tennis table. – Blessed Geek Aug 22 '13 at 5:45
When we used blackboards about 30 years ago in the school where I taught, most of them were black because we painted them with blackboard paint every year. – Edwin Ashworth Aug 22 '13 at 7:02

When I was at school (in the 1960s, in the UK), our blackboards were neither black nor boards: they were green and were of a continuous sheet flexible material rotated on two rollers (top & bottom). But we still called them blackboards!

As far as I'm aware, the term chalkboard is not commonly used in the UK, but would, of course, be understood.

share|improve this answer
Nowadays they tend to be white. And don't get me started on interactive (white) boards, I don't find them at all smart! – Mari-Lou A Aug 22 '13 at 0:51
+1 for actually answering the question. – Peter Shor Aug 22 '13 at 10:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.