English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On my business card I have the contact details of my office, however I want to include the contact details of my home.

I want to make it known that the above details are my home's. How can I write it? "Residence contact details"?

share|improve this question

Use the same pattern people use to differentiate business vs. personal phone numbers, now that cell phones are ubiquitous, and abbreviate, with O for Office and H for Home.


O: 111 Business Street

H: 222 Residential Street

share|improve this answer
Or spell out "Business" / "Office" & "Home". Depending which country you're in, abbreviations may not always be obvious. Also, bear in mind that in the UK, "my cell" sounds as if you are in prison - we call them "mobile phones" and not everyone is familiar with the US term. – TrevorD Aug 20 '13 at 14:43

There are a few possibilities. Here are two that might be common:

  • Home vs Office
  • Residence vs Business
share|improve this answer

On a business card, space is at a premium. So -- bearing in mind that single-letter abbreviations are problematic, for the reason TrevorD gives in his comment -- I'd keep the descriptors to a minimum, as follows:


Address line 1

Address line 2 (etc.)



Business (or Office):

Address line 1

Address line 2 (etc.)


share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.