English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question already has an answer here:

In English there are some words which just refer to men, like Sir, or just refer to women, like Madam.
Does flight attendant refer to women, men or both?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by FumbleFingers, J.R., TrevorD, Mitch, Mari-Lou A Aug 19 '13 at 15:44

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

It's gender-neutral so it refers to both. You'd be better asking this at the English Language Learners stack: ell.stackexchange.com – Ste Aug 19 '13 at 13:09
english.stackexchange.com/questions/29323/… based on the link that is for both men and women – alex Aug 19 '13 at 13:25
@moreroz That's correct! – TrevorD Aug 19 '13 at 13:31
up vote 4 down vote accepted

It refers to both. Steward and stewardess are gendered and were historically more commonly used, especially in the period when the job was much more strongly associated with one sex or the other (at first a strictly male-only job, then later a strongly female-dominated job, before returning some way toward being more balanced). These days flight attendant, cabin attendant and cabin crew are preferred precisely because they aren't gendered terms.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.