English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the shortest term to refer to representatives of peoples and cultures whose mother tongue is English?


Can't I call them joe?

share|improve this question
I can't help but think of mothertonguers as ... something else. – aviraldg Feb 12 '11 at 6:15
If you are speaking to a person who is a native speaker of English, you can use you. – kiamlaluno Feb 12 '11 at 7:25
And how would I know that a person with whom I am speaking is a native English speaker??? No, this is question how to refer to strangers in Tweets. Besides, if I correctly remember, "4 years ago I happily dumped all my micros" and became write-only – Gennady Vanin Геннадий Ванин Feb 12 '11 at 13:14
up vote 16 down vote accepted

Native anglophone is, I believe, an even shorter term.

anglophone (noun)
an English-speaking person

Oxford Dictionaries

share|improve this answer
And we are anglofiles, right? – mplungjan Feb 12 '11 at 7:49
@mplungian: If you mean you like English people, you are an Anglophile. – Robusto Feb 12 '11 at 11:58
@Robusto: I like people who speak English. Does that make me an Anglophonophile? ;) – Jon Purdy Feb 15 '11 at 6:34
Anglophone only means speaks English. The question was a term for someone who was a native English speaker – mgb May 4 '11 at 18:35
@Martin: That's why my answer was "native anglophone". – Jimi Oke May 5 '11 at 11:27

Native English speakers.

I do not believe that the term "mothertonguers" would be generally well received.

share|improve this answer
...or understood properly. – Sylverdrag Feb 12 '11 at 8:28
+1 "native English speakers" is the standard term – nohat Feb 13 '11 at 6:38
exactly, was confused when I first saw it in english.stackexchange.com/questions/6361/… – JoseK Feb 14 '11 at 11:19
"I do not believe that the term 'mothertonguers' would be generally well received": A masterpiece of understatement. – Nate Eldredge Feb 16 '13 at 15:52

"Anglos" would also be an appropriate term according to Wikipedia.

share|improve this answer
-1: "Anglo", at least in the US, is understood as referring to a person whose ethnic and cultural background can be traced to England. If you referred to a native English speaker of African or Latino descent as an "Anglo", you would certainly cause confusion and very likely offense. – Nate Eldredge Feb 16 '13 at 15:48

English is no one's (person or country) native language. And hence, there is no term that has ever been coined to refer people whose mother tongue is English. Hence, it will be like talking something south of the south pole.

share|improve this answer
Native language refers to the language you have learned while growing up (native = from birth). Plenty of people have learned English in their formative years and they are called anglophones, as pointed out by Jimi. – Sylverdrag Feb 12 '11 at 8:35
English is the native language of England. – Brian Hooper Jul 31 '11 at 17:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.