English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

So I have this database of my categories. And every category can have sub-categories, except for the prime-level ones. In my database I designate a row that is pointing to the category which will contain this category as its sub-category.

How do I call that? Mother Category? Maybe there is more "technical" word for that?

P.S. Sorry, English is not my native language so I don't know many words.

share|improve this question
Can anyone add tag technical to this question? – Gennady Vanin Геннадий Ванин Feb 13 '11 at 5:20
up vote 2 down vote accepted

In conceptual modelling, where we study whole/part relationships, we would call that the whole.

A more technical name would be root.

share|improve this answer
Yea that's about right, thanks. – Stan Feb 11 '11 at 23:47

I would suggest "Master Category" or "Top Category".

share|improve this answer

As you're talking about using a database, I assume you might be looking for what the common technical terms are.

Generally, you'd use parent/child to describe the relationship between a category and it's sub-categories. The term root may be used to specify the container of all categories that have no parent.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.