English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Chinese apparently there is an extra character added for long/short pants and half/full dress. And footwear applies to sandals, boots, sneakers, etc. Is there an English word that means pants and/or shorts? And one that means a dress and/or skirt?

share|improve this question
The only thing that comes to mind is the archaic expression "nether garments." – Robusto Aug 14 '13 at 12:53
Your notion of Chinese garment terminology is off—you can add either 短 duân ‘short’ or 长 cháng ‘long’ before any piece of clothing where it makes sense, just like in English; but apart from that, trousers, pants, skirts, and dresses do not have a common denominator. Robusto’s comment gives the only word I can think of, too, but I have a nagging suspicion a lot of people would be unsure whether ‘nether garments’ refers to undergarments or garments worn on the lower part of the body. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 14 '13 at 13:44
Also, dresses don't really belong here at all, since they are worn on the upper part of the body and simply flow down over the lower part. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 14 '13 at 13:44
There are the words bottoms and tops. Bottoms applies to pants, shorts, and skirts; tops applies to t-shirts, blouses, tanktops, and the like. Not an exact fit, but in the ballpark. – J.R. Aug 14 '13 at 19:08
You appear to be using "pants" with the American meaning of the word, but you should be aware that the word has a different meaning in British English. In British English, "pants" refers to men's underwear, whether 'boxer shorts' or more tightly fitting underwear; men's or ladies' long-legged outerwear is known as 'trousers'. 'Shorts' refers to men's or ladies' outerwear with short legs terminating at or above the knee. – TrevorD Aug 14 '13 at 20:57

I am going to go out on a limb on this one and say that the answer to your question is: "NO, there is no such word."

If someone can prove me wrong I will withdraw this answer.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.