English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, if I were to change the following the example sentence from:

I'm sure you could use your experience to help me out.


You're sure I could use my experience to help you out.

what would I be doing to that sentence?

I'm looking either for a verb to describe this action, or for a word that describes the category containing:

  • pronouns like 'I', 'you', etc.,
  • and inflected pronouns like 'my', 'your', etc.,
  • but also verb conjugations like 'am', 'are', etc.
share|improve this question
Does the second second sentence need "my experience", or "help me out", or neither of those and it's fine as it is? The two examples are not quite exact parallels at the moment. – Andrew Leach Aug 14 '13 at 11:17
Thanks @AndrewLeach; corrected that example now :-) – guypursey Aug 14 '13 at 12:13

The choice of grammatical person who is doing the narration is often referred to as point of view. While I am not aware of a single word to describe the restructuring of a sentence in which the grammatical person is changed, the phrase shifting point of view might work.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for this. I was hoping for something a bit neater like "to x a sentence" where x is a single word, rather than "shift the point of view of". I'll keep looking into it, but your answer may be the only choice I have in the end! – guypursey Aug 16 '13 at 15:21

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.