English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I was walking pass by a high school and I saw a container of cookies sitting on the handrail to one of its portables. The cookies: (I use an iPad so couldn't scale it down unfortunately :()

enter image description here

And I was wondering what do you call these containers, these transparent plastic containers? Is there a name for them?

share|improve this question
plastic drums, perhaps? Or, may be "ops cookie trays" – Renae Lider Apr 4 '14 at 18:01
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Um, it looks like a "tray" to me. Perhaps the food packaging industry has a jargon name for it, but if so, I am aware of it.

share|improve this answer

I would call it a "sleeve" of cookies.

share|improve this answer
I would call it a sleeve of cookies if it was wrapped in plastic (much like these), but I think the container itself would still be a tray. – J.R. Aug 11 '13 at 0:25

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.