English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sometimes I read, write or speak a sentence where a single word appears twice in a row. For example:

The book he had had a torn cover.

I was curious if there was a formal term for such a pattern.


share|improve this question
No, there's no name for that kind of accidental pattern. The only reason that there are two had's in a row is because the first one is at the end of a relative clause ((which) he had), and the second one happens to be the verb of the main clause. That's an accident and there's no name for it. On the other hand, if two words are repeated on purpose, like talk-talk, chop-chop, go-go, moo-moo, muu-muu, bon-bon, etc, then the word for it is Reduplication. If only part of the word is repeated, but again on purpose (willy-nilly, nazi-schmazi), it's partial reduplication. – John Lawler Aug 9 '13 at 0:09
Is, there, there an example of reduplication, as in, "Hush now child, there, there?" – Scott Mitchell Aug 9 '13 at 2:55
Yes, that's reduplication. It's often used for emphasis or to difference the utterance -- somehow -- from an ordinary usage. In many languages it's used in the grammar. In Lushootseed and in Indonesian reduplication of some kind is (roughly) a plural marker, for instance. – John Lawler Aug 9 '13 at 2:57
… whereas in Chinese, it is used as a diminutive (mostly with verbs), or a way to make frequentative/intensive adverbs from adjectives (although the latter differs by being ‘broken reduplication’ where each constituent in a word is reduplicated separately). – Janus Bahs Jacquet Aug 10 '13 at 3:21
@JohnLawler Your comment is better than some of the answers here. I think it should be posted as an answer. – starsplusplus Feb 21 '14 at 11:26

There is a name for it, anadiplosis, but it is often used for emphasis.

(i.e. Fear leads to Anger; Anger leads to Hate; Hate leads to suffering ~ Yoda)

share|improve this answer
Could you embed a link, please? Answers should be self-contained on ELU. – Mari-Lou A Aug 10 '13 at 12:16

When it's done accidentally it is called ‘dittography’:

Dittography is the accidental, erroneous act of repeating a letter, word, phrase or combination of letters by a scribe or copyist.

share|improve this answer
interesting but OP's case is not erroneous – d'alar'cop Feb 21 '14 at 10:00

Repetitious words.

Repetitious words used in a sentence are generally frowned upon unless used as a way of purposely trying to create emphasis. It is better for readability to vary the usage of words and leave out unnecessary repetitious words. Try to use any other word in its place.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.