English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to know if there is an appropriate word for "one flavor."

For example:

  • Monosyllabic: one syllable
  • Monochromatic: one color

What is the equivalent word for "one flavor," eg. "mono-gustatic" (obviously this is just a mock-up word for sake of the question)?

Note: I am asking this in reference to wine (if it helps in answering the question.) I encountered a glass which I thought was fairly "one flavored," and thus, the question arose.

share|improve this question
Have you seen this Wikipedia entry? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_tasting_descriptors – JLG Aug 3 '13 at 22:02
'Simple' instead of 'complex'? You should ask people who are wine experts. – Mitch Aug 3 '13 at 22:25
I was reading the descriptives for wine tasting on wiki and "cat pee" is listed... – Mari-Lou A Aug 3 '13 at 23:42
The technical vocabulary used by oenologists is so precise and wide-ranging, that you are likely better served by a specialist site in wine-tasting or oenology. – Pieter Geerkens Aug 4 '13 at 0:16
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Monoaromatic Having a single aromatic ring

Sigh... I thought it up, found it on wikitionary. Thought:Great, it does exist! But the definition does not relate to taste but to an "aromatic ring".

Noun: Any compound having a single aromatic ring, especially such a constituent of petroleum

So, it's looks like the right word but it's not. Sorry

EDIT: One of the definitions of the word "ring" is: a number of atoms so united that they may be graphically represented in cyclic form. Compare chain. Does this mean the compounds which make a fragrance or flavour are called a "ring" and hence a wine can have several aromatic rings? Can a wine have a single dominant fragrance and be called monoaromatic? I don't know. I think only a scientist or chemist could really give us the final word.

share|improve this answer
An "aromatic ring" is a specific type of carbon ring in organic chemistry, so named because of how many of the chemicals containing it smell. (But many chemical with strong smells don't have such a ring.) – Peter Shor Aug 4 '13 at 1:07
Thank you @PeterShor for giving such a clear explanation: Would you say that the word, monoaromatic, could be legitimately used in the context of wine tasting? I looked online and found no evidence. – Mari-Lou A Aug 4 '13 at 5:24

I think you probably want something like "a one-note wine," though I struggle to find a formal definition of this anywhere.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.