English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the accessory that is like a net that is worn by women on the head and that comes all the way till the eyes... it is worn on formal occasions and its is quite old fashioned (IMHO). It is not used to hold the hair on anything I think. Sometimes I have seen that it comes attached to the bonnet...

Update 1: I remember finding the word in the dictionary once.

share|improve this question
One of those rare occasions a questioner gives a precise and accurate description of something. – Mari-Lou A Jul 29 '13 at 19:19
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I believe it is called a birdcage veil.

You can see a bunch of examples on Etsy.

share|improve this answer
'birdcage' is often left out especially in Western fashion/non-Islamic contexts. – Mitch Jul 29 '13 at 19:30
hmm....I thought a veil was always a fabric. – Suraj Nayak Jul 29 '13 at 19:30
@SurajNayak, no, not always; for example, expression take the veil (to take vows) involves neither netting nor fabric – jwpat7 Jul 29 '13 at 19:42
@SurajNayak: a wedding veil is usually not a fabric, but a kind of netting that obscures. – Mitch Jul 29 '13 at 20:53

Assuming this is what you envisioned, it's a "veil" and is still used by high-fashion hat wearers:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Hmm... ya.. that is what I had in mind... – Suraj Nayak Jul 29 '13 at 19:28
Thanks for the edits! – Suraj Nayak Jul 29 '13 at 19:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.