English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Merriam Webster states that shivereens is the synonym of smithereens but there's no mention of the origin of the word.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Oliver Heslop, A Glossary of Words Used in the County of Northumberland and on the Tyneside (1892), published for the English Dialect Society, includes the following entry:

SHIVER, a splinter, a flake of stone. Shiverins, Shivereens, very small fragments. "It's gyen aall te shivereens," equivalent to the colloquial "all to smithereens."

On the same page, Heslop also has an entry for shiverin boot:

SHIVERIN BOOT, a shivering fit.

So at least one possible interpretation of shivereens is that it derives from shiverings in the sense of "small shivers [of stone]."

share|improve this answer
And here I was about to say that 'shivereens' was not a word. – Mitch Jul 26 '13 at 23:59

According to the OED, it is simply an alternative form of ‘smithereens’, influenced by the noun ‘shiver’, which is in the same semantic area and phonetically quite close.

(‘Smithereens’ is of course a naturalised English plural form from Irish smidiríní, a diminutive of smiodar ‘scrap, fragment, tiny piece’)

share|improve this answer
Shiver has come up before on ELU. I don't recall seeing/hearing shivereens before (and it basically flatlines against smithereens in Google Books), but apparently it's been bubbling around under the surface for an awful long time. – FumbleFingers Jul 26 '13 at 21:16

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.