English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a special common name for goods sold at public events, such as T-shirts, cups, stationery, etc. being sold at conferences, concerts.

share|improve this question
I don't know if there is an associated word for the merchandise, but the outlets that sell these goods are called concessions. – GetzelR Jul 26 '13 at 15:41
I always thought that "concessions" were sold at concession stands, but this is apparently not the case. Interesting. – Brian Koser Jul 26 '13 at 21:12
up vote 10 down vote accepted

At music concerts, such items are often collectively called merch (short for merchandise). It might be appropriate to use the word by extension to refer to similar items sold at other large public gatherings, although I don't know whether merch is sufficiently widely known that the average person would know what you're talking about without explanation. Either way, the word merch should be considered slang or informal, and therefore not appropriate for formal communication.

When branded items are given away at such events, they are typically (in the United States at least) called swag collectively, which is also slang/informal.

share|improve this answer
I would say that ‘merch’ is common enough for an average person to understand, but ‘swag’ might not be. I had never heard of it in this sense, for example—if someone were to mention such trinkets as swag, I would probably have assumed that they were in fact referring to stolen goods. – Janus Bahs Jacquet Jul 26 '13 at 17:29
The terms also depend on your country. In my country, swag refers to stolen goods, and I have not heard merch before. – Paddy Landau Jul 26 '13 at 17:37
@PaddyLandau - "Swag" in this sense is meant to be a play on the "stolen goods" meaning (stolen goods are the best kind!) but it's also a backronym for Stuff We All Get. The most visible giveaway items at conventions are usually the "swag bags" - tote bags to hold the swag you collect at other booths. – MT_Head Jul 27 '13 at 8:32
I should have said: "Stuff We All Get" is a backronym for "swag". – MT_Head Jul 27 '13 at 19:20
Another informal name for free items given away (at least at computer conferences) is goodies. – Law29 May 23 at 14:21

The word I hear a lot for these types of things (especially if they carry a brand logo) is "merch." Short for "merchandise."

share|improve this answer

Sometimes these items are also referred to as souvenirs.

share|improve this answer
That is not a special name for "goods sold at public events". Souvenirs are more generally available in tourist shops worldwide as mementos of holidays/vacations. – TrevorD Jul 26 '13 at 16:28
I qualified my answer by including "sometimes" and "also" :-) – Frank H. Jul 26 '13 at 16:53
+1 - good answer IMO, with the qualification. – Vector Jul 26 '13 at 18:24

Perhaps commemorative material

produced for an important event to help you remember it a commemorative stamp

They also could be calenter link description hereled

  • promotional merchandise
  • promotional items
  • promotional products
  • promotional gifts
  • advertising gifts
share|improve this answer

In the UK, this could be called 'stash'.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.