English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Please provide me with a single word for the phrase "noise made by broken glass".

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Kit Z. Fox Jul 26 '13 at 12:49

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on choosing an ideal word or phrase must include information on how it will be used in order to be answered. For help writing a good word or phrase request, see: About single word requests" – Kit Z. Fox
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do you mean the "noise made by breaking glass"? – Peter Shor Jul 26 '13 at 11:41
@Peter Shor Good question. The noise made by stepping on broken glass is very unique as well. – tkendrick20 Jul 26 '13 at 12:54
@tkendrick20 It is? Really? How unique is it? – tchrist Jul 26 '13 at 13:33

I think there is no specific word for that. The following sounds more or less the same.

Clink - Small bits of glass knocking together & Smash - Break violently into small pieces.

share|improve this answer

v.intr.3. To break without complete separation of parts; fissure: The mirror cracked.

v.tr.2. To cause to break without complete separation of parts: cracked the glass

  • smash v.intr.1.To break (something) into pieces suddenly, noisily, and violently;

  • shattered is to break into many scattered pieces: The coffin fell to the floor, the glass was shattered to bits by the concussion

share|improve this answer
But do those terms describe the noise as per the question? – TrevorD Jul 26 '13 at 13:50
@TrevorD If you look at the OP's title it's a fair bet he/she is not a native speaker, hence it's pretty fair to assume that what is being asked is the onomatopoeic words related to broken glass. onomatopoeic not being in everyone's vocabulary, especially non-natives speakers (unless they speak the Romance languages of course!). – Mari-Lou A Jul 26 '13 at 13:54
I did actually think of that, and looked at the definitions you quote before commenting. The definitions all relate to the action of breaking, and, although they are sometimes used to describe the sound, I don't think of them as "words whose sounds imitate the sound or action they represent, eg boo, hiss, squelch." (Chambers def. of onomatopoeic). But maybe I'm wrong? :-( – TrevorD Jul 26 '13 at 14:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.