Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I often edit texts that have been translated from Slovenian language and it is common that the Slovenian word teatrolog gets translated into English as "theatrologist", a word to which I find I am quite allergic.

Today I saw on the Slovenian Dictionary of Theatre Terminology the following translations:

teatrológ -a m strokovnjak, ki se ukvarja z zgodovino, estetiko, teorijo in družbeno funkcijo gledališča

ang.: theatre scholar, theatrologue

fr.: théâtrologue m.

ita.: studioso del teatro m.

nem.: Theaterwissenschaftler m.

In the past I have been quite relentless in changing occurrences of "theatrologist" or even "theatrologue" (also a bothersome term to me) to "theatre expert". It's not my favourite option, which is why I decided to post a question here.

What do others think is the most appropriate term: "theatre expert", "theatre scholar" or "theatrologue"?

Thanks in advance for your input.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by MετάEd, tchrist, p.s.w.g, Kristina Lopez, Brian Hooper Jul 18 '13 at 14:06

  • This question does not appear to be about English language and usage within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Wikipedia: Search results - theatrologue Did you mean: theatrologist --- Google nGram: Nothing for theatroloque at Google nGrams but plenty for theatre expert, theatre scholar, theatrologist –  mplungjan Jul 17 '13 at 9:54
Off topic (writing or translation request). help center –  MετάEd Jul 17 '13 at 11:33
@MετάEd No. It's a specific question about usage of a specific word. –  TrevorD Jul 17 '13 at 12:57
@TrevorD We're being asked which is the most appropriate term: "theatre expert", "theatre scholar", or "theatrologue" as a translation for "teatrológ". This is right from the body of the question. There is plainly not a question about usage about one specific word. –  MετάEd Jul 17 '13 at 13:04
Thank you for your comments. I am not asking how to translate the word. I would like to know which of the 4 terms -- theatrologist, theatrologue, theatre expert, theatre scholar -- is most commonly used in English. Thank you. –  Žaba Jul 18 '13 at 21:19