Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am trying to decipher some illegible writing by a nurse. For instance, I have a word where I am fairly certain the word starts with an E, ends with an L and contains a T somewhere in the middle. It could be emotional for instance, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know of a computer tool out there where I can get lists of words that satisfy criteria such those in the example?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted

Try If you search for E*T*L it gives 663 possible matches for your word. If you're reasonably sure of some more letters, you can narrow it down further. For example if you're reasonably sure of the ending, searching for E*TIONAL narrows it down to 33 possible words.

share|improve this answer
1 has a lookup feature with wildcards as well. – J.R. Jul 14 '13 at 4:35
also – IBC Jul 14 '13 at 7:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.