English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a more generic word, perhaps a term from math or engineering, that describes a disc that rotates about its centre, like a turntable?

share|improve this question
So far all I've found is this interesting discussion of turntable physics: stereophile.com/content/turntable-physics-conundrum-1 – MετάEd Jul 10 '13 at 3:02
Seriously, what you are describing is a rotating cylinder whose radius is many times its height (see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_%28geometry%29). From a physics perspective, there are many interesting types of rotating cylinder, such as the Tipler and the O'Neill. Disregard the similarity to names of condoms and look them up. – MετάEd Jul 10 '13 at 3:10
DJs refer to these as "decks" – Brad Jul 12 '13 at 18:47
up vote 1 down vote accepted

How about the simple "rotor". See the Wikipedia article on the multiple instances of usage of the term.


share|improve this answer

In engineering we call it a "Console". Hope it helps.

share|improve this answer
--References?-- – Simon Kuang Jul 16 '13 at 18:46
CD Drives can be called consoles. or Sony PS3 is called a console which is also a turn table.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console – Virgo Jul 16 '13 at 20:13
'Console' really does push the bounds of polysemy. It was (and probably still is, by collectors) used to describe a free-standing radio (innards plus carcase, I believe) (and valve era) larger than a 'table-top' model. – Edwin Ashworth Jul 19 '13 at 7:28

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.