English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have been trying to recall a particular word for a week now. The word is a property of a replica indicating the degree with which it was able to be true to the original.

Similar words are authentic, representative, etc.

Maybe something similar to integrity. I feel like it is commonly used in this context, but in general it is not frequently used.

I would love to hear suggestions!

share|improve this question

migrated from writers.stackexchange.com Jul 7 '13 at 19:08

This question came from our site for authors, editors, reviewers, professional writers, and aspiring writers.

I'm sorry, but Writers.SE does not accept phrase requests (e.g. "What's a word/phrase that means..."). – Standback Jul 7 '13 at 18:12
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The word I use for that: fidelity.

share|improve this answer
"Fidelity" is the first word that came to my mind, too. Another possibility is "authenticity", though that means more "is it real or not" rather than "how much does it look like the real". Another is "accuracy", as in "this is a highly-accurate scale model". – Jay Jul 8 '13 at 13:19

How about: verisimilitude? ...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.