Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a friend who rents in an one-story house. Just your common house: there's a living room, a kitchen, and three rooms (all of them occupied by university students).

It something like this from the outside:

enter image description here

How to call this kind of buildings?

share|improve this question
The question would be worded better and more naturally if it had the word fully instead of full, as well as the word let instead of rent. See dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/let_3 –  Tristan Jul 3 '13 at 16:18
@Tristan Thanks. Edited. –  janoChen Jul 3 '13 at 16:23

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

In the UK, it is most common for any premises rented out to students to be referred to as as "student-lets".

share|improve this answer

I've heard people say "house-share". As in "Do you live in the dorms? No, I have a house-share."

Some universities have options like this on campus, owned by the school, and then there's probably a school-specific name for them (e.g. Vassar College has what they call "Town Houses").

share|improve this answer

A "furnished" home or apartment is provided with furniture (and often linens, dishes, and other accoutrements), often at minimal additional cost.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.