Consider this headline:
Horrific Accident On Live TV Captivates The Internet
Dictionary.com gives the following definitions for captivate:
- to attract and hold the attention or interest of, as by beauty or excellence; enchant.
- Obsolete . to capture; subjugate.
and the following for engross:
- to occupy completely, as the mind or attention; absorb.
- to write or copy in a clear, attractive, large script or in a formal manner, as a public document or record.
- to acquire the whole of (a commodity), in order to control the market; monopolize.
It seems to me “engross” is more appropriate.
Are there other verbs that better suit this context?