English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can a district be combined with "Style"? Does this show a significance in the district's style?

share|improve this question
This is not, strictly, English: "a Korean neologism that refers to a lifestyle associated with the Gangnam District of Seoul" (Wikipedia). But it's an ordinary English construction, as we might speak of a "West Coast style" or a "Southern way of live" or a "New York state of mind". – StoneyB Jun 28 '13 at 13:14
"noun style" is an informal, intentionally silly way to say "Do something the same way that noun would". If I work "slacker style", I might not do very much work or try to get out of responsibility. – Jeremy Jun 28 '13 at 15:50
The OP has no trouble using "district's style" but is troubled by using "Gangnam style". I think the question is unclear and we need more information on specifically what the OP is confused about. – MετάEd Jun 28 '13 at 17:47
Manhattan clam chowder? – Mitch Jun 28 '13 at 18:11

From Today I found out

“Gangnam” is an area in South Korea, specifically a small area in Seoul, South Korea, home to about 1% of the population of Seoul and is about the size of Manhattan. It is known for its wealthy “new money” inhabitants.

“Gangnam Style” simply is referencing this sort of elite, “new money”, wealthy culture and lifestyle that has sprung up around the region. Pop critic Kim Zakka, who lives in Seoul, said “Gangnam inspires both envy and distaste. Gangnam residents are South Korea’s upper class, but South Koreans consider them self-interested, with no sense of nobility.”

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.