English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If i have this sentence. i also have this sentence.

Then correct it to:

If I have this sentence. I also have this sentence.

If we know the error is not a typo.

What would such a correction be called?

share|improve this question
I suppose if such a "correction" were to be made to ee cummings work, he'd have labelled it unwarranted hypercorrection. – FumbleFingers Jul 2 '13 at 18:47
This makes no sense. An error that's not a typo? That's called an 'error'. And then what is the -correction- called? It's a 'correction' then. But since you're asking a questions you must mean something else. What do you mean? – Mitch Jul 2 '13 at 21:38
Somewhat related: english.stackexchange.com/questions/94303/… – user867 Jul 3 '13 at 2:27
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I believe a proofreader would just call it correcting the capitalization of the sentence. There's no real distinction between lowercase "i" and lowercase "new york city"—in both cases, a proper noun is not capitalized, and should be.

share|improve this answer

This kind of error would be recognized as a capitalization error.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.