English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there some piece of equipment or item that allows you to tie two or more

  1. strands of rope
  2. threads of fabric

together? I imagine that (1) and (2) will be different items. If such things do exist, what are they called?

share|improve this question
Do you mean tie in a knot? Or tie together like a coupler (end-to-end)? Or something else entirely? And for what purpose do you imagine you would be you tying up these items? – Kit Z. Fox Jun 18 '13 at 19:07
Tie in a knot or end-to-end: just something to secure two or more strands or threads together. – Opaf123 Jun 18 '13 at 19:10
How about a fastener? – Matt Jun 18 '13 at 19:22
Are you asking about reality or about if there is a single word for such a concept? Why can't you just tie the two of them together without anything else, like a knot? You're talking about an additional thing? Then you'll need to explain more, maybe a picture would help (use google images to find what you want). – Mitch Jun 18 '13 at 20:00
up vote 5 down vote accepted

For rope (at least in sailing), this is called splicing (rope splicing) and the primary tool used is a marlinspike. When you're connecting frayed ropes using another piece of (usually thinner) rope this is known as whipping but real splicing involves unlaying the rope (similar to unbraiding) and then laying in new line. See various splices in the diagram below: rope splicing

share|improve this answer

There is a process for fabric called reweaving to repair various types of holes but doesn't actually involve "tying". There are several approaches to reweaving discussed here.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.