English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There is a "meanings" tag on English.SE, but I would like the opposite way around — I have a meaning already, I want the word (if it exists) for doing just this.

share|improve this question
single-word-request – Matt E. Эллен Jun 18 '13 at 15:12
@MattЭллен If that's the answer, this belongs on Meta. – Andrew Leach Jun 18 '13 at 15:19
Although a tag, is there also a word in a dictionary for it? – xxjjnn Jun 18 '13 at 15:23
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That's a reverse lookup and you perform it by using a reverse dictionary.

share|improve this answer

There isn't a word in English for the process of searching for just the right word however the French phrase "le mot juste" is used (coined by Flaubert apparently).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.