English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A word to refer to the "The Far Side of the World" part in the film title Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (MC:FSW) might be subtitle. By here, the "Master and Commander" part is called title. But so is the full title MC:FSW.

I tried negating the prefix with supertitle and surtitle, which are opposites of another meaning of subtitle. I also considered location: I'm trying to find a word to describe the first part of a title, so I looked for pretitle. The uses I found meant "coming in a film before or during its opening credits."

Is there another word that means precisely "title but not subtitle"?

share|improve this question
I'd call it the series title, or maybe the main title (depending on whether there are other related movies called Master and Commander: [some other text]). – FumbleFingers Jun 16 '13 at 16:38
It's the title. And it has to be for there to be a sub-title. – Kris Jun 17 '13 at 5:57
BTW what's wrong with unambiguous? – Kris Jun 17 '13 at 6:03
up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's the title. And it has to be for there to be a sub-title. :)

It's not necessary to say "title but not subtitle" -- the full version should properly be called the full title (including subtitle).

share|improve this answer
+1, your explanation of how sub-title comes from title makes a lot of sense to me. Ideally if a work were named "A: B" I would like one word meaning "A", another "B", and one different from either of those meaning "A: B". But if you have an unambiguous single word meaning full title (including subtitle), I will accept this answer. – user39720 Jun 17 '13 at 22:57

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.