Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's a word that means something that facilitates something else?

A word meaning to facilitate change; allow it to happen; help it come to life. Almost as if serving as an open doorway to an idea or the creation of a new thing because of what another thing did to it, or allowed it to do.

I seem to remember associating this mystery word with energy conductivity or chemistry. Synonyms might include facilitator, conductor, precipitate...

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Mitch, MετάEd, choster, Hellion, tchrist Jun 15 '13 at 14:30

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I think this is General Reference rather than Not Constructive. You've already said you want to facilitate it. Obviously you want to act as a facilitator. Strictly speaking, an "idea" is normally realised, not facilitated, but not many people would use act as a realiser –  FumbleFingers Jun 14 '13 at 1:34
Are you thinking of "conduit"? –  MετάEd Jun 14 '13 at 1:54
@MετάEd How would you suggest conduit which is not a 'facilitator/ catalyst'? Conduit even has negative connotations. –  Kris Jun 14 '13 at 6:12

4 Answers 4

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You could be a catalyst for the idea, a term that comes from chemistry meaning (according to MWD)

1 : a substance that enables a chemical reaction to proceed at a usually faster rate or under different conditions (as at a lower temperature) than otherwise possible

2 : an agent that provokes or speeds significant change or action

share|improve this answer
Thank you so much. I love that word, and for some reason it just vanished from my brain a long time ago. –  Smig Jun 14 '13 at 1:31

Perhaps the word you are looking for is 'expeditor', or expediter.

According to the Wikipedia article,

An expeditor is someone who facilitates a process. It is a position or role found within project management, construction, purchasing and production control.

share|improve this answer

The word that occurs to me is advocate.

share|improve this answer

If you wanted to emphasize your enthusiasm you could champion that idea

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.