English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

English speakers will change pronunciation and spelling of foreign words to make them easier to manage and we call this Anglicization. Japanese do this too, adding extra vowels to foreign words to make them roll off the Japanese tongue more easily. Is there a word for this, like "Japanization"? All I can find is "transliteration into Japanese", but that is awkward and sounds too mechanical.

share|improve this question
Japanese loan word phonology is what I'd call it in English. Google on that to see lots of information. – John Lawler Jun 13 '13 at 17:23

OED has

Nipponize verb

trans. To make Japanese in character.

1942   H. Mears Year of Wild Boar 82   We saw a modan-style movie-theater where the picture featured Harold Lloyd; but he was talking in Japanese, for they had Nipponized the sound track.

That's not quite the same as Anglicize and Anglicization, but Nipponization may suffice if you are using it in a similar context. OED mentions it can be spelled with or without an initial capital.

[Nippon is the Japanese name for Japan. Apparently Japan comes via Chinese.]

share|improve this answer
Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. – Yaan Jun 13 '13 at 18:50
Nipponize may be in the dictionary, but that doesn't mean that people will necessarily have heard it. – Colin Fine Jun 13 '13 at 22:59
Note that the definition involves Japanese in character and thus refers to say adapting Shakespeare not pronouncing names from Shakespeare in Japanese. – virmaior May 9 '14 at 4:24

Urban dictionary gives katakanize:

To transcribe an English word into the Japanese katakana alphabet by splitting it apart into intonational syllables.

Would you katakanize 'Larry' as 'Rarii?'

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.