English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I looked up the etymology entry at etymonline.com for cursive, which reads:

1784, from French cursif (18c.), from Medieval Latin cursivus “running,” from Latin cursus “a running,” from past participle of currere “to run” (see current (adj.)). The notion is of “written with a running hand” (without raising the pen), as opposed to uncial.

Now, the uncial entry reads:

In reference to letters, it is attested from 1712, from Late Latin litterae unciales (Jerome), probably meaning “letters an inch high,” from Latin uncialis “of an inch, inch-high.”

It seems to me that uncial is not the most correct antonym for cursive writing, and printing isn’t a very satisfactory alternative to me.

Could anyone give me a word that denotes the style of handwriting where the letters don't connect/the pen is lifted in the process?

share|improve this question
In calligraphy, there is the notion of the secretary hand (emphasis on speed, hence more likely to be cursive) versus the book hand (emphasis on display/beauty, hence not likely to be cursive). But book hand doesn't actually mean "not cursive", just "not likely to be cursive". – Marthaª Jun 13 '13 at 16:47
When filling out a form, I've always assumed that, if the instructions say PLEASE PRINT, that's essentially saying PLEASE DO NOT WRITE IN CURSIVE. Wikipedia seemes agrees with that assertion. – J.R. Jun 13 '13 at 18:56
For what it's worth, I agree that etymonline's "as opposed to uncial" statement is... puzzling, as that's not what uncial means. – Marthaª Jun 13 '13 at 19:02
up vote 29 down vote accepted

It is customary to speak of such writing as print or print writing among non-experts, and when the context is handwriting, it is understood that one is writing separated letters which resemble printed forms, not using a printing press or a typewriter to produce them.

Block writing or writing with block letters is also commonly found, though many would restrict this to capital letters. Many paper forms will include instructions like "print your name in in block letters" or "use block capitals for all fields".

The term printscript appears in Merriam-Webster and some academic sources, but I have never seen it otherwise.

I understand uncial to refer to a style of lettering, not a style of writing. I never heard it as as schoolchild, only as an adult learning calligraphy.

share|improve this answer

In some official form you have to "sign" (in a completely free kind of cursive) and put your name as "printed name".

In Italian where for "Cursive" there is "Corsivo" the antonym for that is "Stampatello", that literally could be translated "printed like" while dictionaries report "block letters", "block capitals", "letter", "to write in block capitals or letters"; and in some official documents you have to sign "in modo leggibile" that means "in a readable way".

"Computer science" and typographically speaking a possible acceptation for "Cursive" in one of its etymological meaning of "running", it became "Italic" and their antonyms are "Normal", "Regular" and "Roman".

Typographically Italian "Stampatello" could be translated "Roman type".

There are alphabet like Arabic one that haven't a non-cursive form since they are themselves a cursive version of some other alphabets.

share|improve this answer
Arabic alphabet is cursive of another alpahbet? I never knew that! – hkBst Jun 1 at 14:39

I use print-script, although "script" has ambiguous meanings internationally.

The insertion, "(without lifting the pen)" refers to the conventional cursive of the past ± 150 years. Certainly one could not claim that Spencerian is cursive with all its flourishes; it was written slowly, never running. In Italy, 600 years ago, men (perhaps women too) wrote the chancery hand cursively, adding some joins when it was comfortable for the hand to make them for what is known as cursive italic.

Historically, the "cursive" to which most now refer, came into being with imitation of copperplate engraving. The method allows for lines to be made without breaks. It is not a paper and pen method.

share|improve this answer

I can think of the word block.

share|improve this answer
Me too! +1. Block letters does not mean capitals. It refers to the printing block. Printed style capitals are called "block capitals"; the "capitals" is not redundant in that phrase. – Kaz Jun 13 '13 at 22:48
This is already covered by choster's answer. – Mitch Jun 14 '13 at 11:12

Depending on the context, have you considered non-cursive?

share|improve this answer
@RegDwighт I'm interested in why you bothered to 'un-bolden' my italics and the corresponding bit in another answer. Is there a style guide to when words should be bold, italic, both, or quoted? I actually followed the style in the question (apart from the colour). – TrevorD Jun 14 '13 at 10:45

In the typographical world, you have Italic vs Roman type. Italic forms descending from the handwritten scribal cursive found in Italy during the advent of moveable type, and Roman forms descending from the chiseled inscriptional typefaces typically found on Roman monuments such as Trajan's Column.

I would say that a Roman typeface is NEVER cursive, while an Italic very well could be.

share|improve this answer

'book hand print' would cover it all. Since the Gutenberg printing presses initially used 'blocks' containing an imitation of singular letters to form a line of unconnected print when printing books. So the difference is simply 'connected' and 'unconnected', as the description of opposites, in the written form. 'Singular' and 'Attached' also comes to mind. 'Divorced' is when you tear it up and throw it away.

share|improve this answer
This answer looks more like a series of comments on other answers. A good answer is comprehensive and contains evidence showing why it is correct. Answers which consist of virtually nothing but an unsupported statement or a citation are not useful and may be subject to deletion – even correct answers. For help writing a good answer, see How to Answer. – MετάEd Jul 12 at 17:13

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.