English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What should I call someone who goes to medical school? A medical student?

share|improve this question

closed as general reference by Mitch, MετάEd, choster, Hellion, aedia λ Jun 14 '13 at 18:38

This question is too basic; it can be definitively and permanently answered by a single link to a standard internet reference source designed specifically to find that type of information.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This would be a good question for ELL. – Mitch Jun 13 '13 at 2:27
Does ELL stand for English language learner? I'd like to believe I'm way past that point, but things like this still make me pause every now and then. – Azo Jun 13 '13 at 2:33
yes. ell.stackexchange.com Though it is a clear straightforward answerable question, and there's the possibility of it having an interesting answer (one never knows), it still seems too local. What about someone who goes to law school? etc, etc. – Mitch Jun 13 '13 at 2:37
I didn't know a Stack Exchange existed for ELL, I may try using that for some of my future questions, thanks! – Azo Jun 13 '13 at 2:39
Mitch is suggesting that Googling "medical student" + "medical school" would help you answer the question yourself. – Edwin Ashworth Jun 13 '13 at 10:10
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Absolutely, I can think of no better term than medical student. Student doctor is an alternative I suppose, but less commonly used.

Note that the structure of teaching programs at medical schools, licensing requirements, examinations and so forth, differ widely throughout the world.

A physician who has completed medical school but is not yet fully licensed is referred to, in the United States, as an intern. The nomenclature and training program vary from country to country.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.