Suppose I read a book and really enjoy reading it until I reach a certain point where I am suddenly not enjoying the experience anymore. I was trying to come up with a good phrase to describe this experience and couldn't really come up with a good one.
Things I've considered:
- Left a bad taste in my mouth (doesn't really conote that the experience had been pleasant up until the negative point)
- Turned to ashes in my mouth (a little better, but seems a bit harsher that what I'm looking for. It seems like this conotes an extremely bad ending, like someone dieing or something)
- Unsatisfying experience (again, doesn't include the previous good)
- Turned sour (Seems closer to what I want....)
- Didn't pan out (Implies that I had high hopes, but no actual good experiences)
Are there any really good phrases/words that describe this phenomenon?