Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I apologize for such a simple and stupid question but the word is completely skipping my mind and my google fu seems to be failing me for this one.

An example would be something along the lines of shit to poop or fuck to fudge.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

Perhaps you are thinking of the word euphemism, which has senses “The use of a word or phrase to replace another with one that is considered less offensive, blunt or vulgar than the word or phrase it replaces” and “A word or phrase that is used to replace another in this way.”

Some words that are related to the topic (but probably don't quite fit the context of the question) are bowdlerize (“To remove or alter those parts of a text considered offensive, vulgar, or otherwise unseemly”), gentrify (“to renovate something, especially housing, to make it more appealing to the middle classes”), and expurgate (“To edit out rude, incorrect, offensive, useless, or otherwise undesirable information from a book, CD or other publication; to cleanse; to purge”).

share|improve this answer
The phenomenon is akin to the use of "minced oaths" like "gosh," "golly," "gee," "heck," "gadzooks" (all substitutes for God, hell, God's hooks--Christ's nails). –  rhetorician Jun 6 '13 at 12:05

I think moderate is the most apt term here as it essentially means what you are asking for. Censor is another word, but is more about hiding words than "moderating" them.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.