English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are verbs that, when paired with certain adverbs, can have a distinctly different meaning. For example,

I looked up the word in the dictionary.

The phrase looked up functions as a verb with a distinct meaning than looked in a sentence like

I looked ridiculous.

In all of these two-word verb examples I can think of, they become a single word when used as a noun or adjective:

The software performs millions of lookups per second.

Is there a term for these verb+adverb pairs, and, if so, what is it?

Additional examples: back up, run off, hang out

Once upon a time, I though these were called verbals, but that was wrong. The term verb phrase is not quite right either; a verb phrase generally encompasses additional modifiers, objects, etc.

share|improve this question
Yes. They're called Phrasal Verbs. There are several different kinds, with different properties and meanings. They're idiomatic, and there are more of them than there are of non-phrasal verbs. (And, by the way, the particle isn't always an adverb) – John Lawler May 31 '13 at 18:10
There are 144 questions on this site which actually have the tag phrasal-verbs, and twice as many which mention them – StoneyB May 31 '13 at 19:29
@John Lawler: Thanks! Phrasal verb is the term I was looking for. Particle is a new one to me though, more research to do. – Adrian McCarthy May 31 '13 at 19:43
"Particle" is a non-question-begging term to refer to the non-verb part of a phrasal verb. "Verb plus particle constructions" or "two-word verbs" are terms that have been used for them. They work sort of like German separable prefixes (trennbare Vorsilben), but have different morphology and syntax, of course. – John Lawler Jun 1 '13 at 16:41
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Look is a verb, while look up is a phrasal verb.

The term phrasal verb is commonly applied to two or three distinct but related constructions in English: a verb and a particle and/or a preposition co-occur forming a single semantic unit. This semantic unit cannot be understood based upon the meanings of the individual parts in isolation, but rather it must be taken as a whole. In other words, the meaning is non-compositional and thus unpredictable.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.