English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is the English name for a highly decorated letter at the beginning of a paragraph, mostly found in ancient texts?

For example, in the following Opening folio of the Hengwrt manuscript of the Canterbury Tales, the letter W - the first letter in the page - is beautifully painted.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
up vote 10 down vote accepted

They are known as Initials or Drop Caps, depending on whether the large first letter rises above the text or, as in your image, goes down below it. This is from the Wikipedia entry linked earlier:

an initial is a letter at the beginning of a word, a chapter, or a paragraph that is larger than the rest of the text.

share|improve this answer
Could you please add a link to your citation? – Adam Matan May 30 '13 at 10:22
I could and I can and I did. – Avner Shahar-Kashtan May 31 '13 at 17:41

More specifically, the decorated initial is Illuminated. With the addition of the fancy borders, your example as a whole would be described as an Illuminated Manuscript.

share|improve this answer

They are Rubrics or Initials. There is a very faint differentiation between the two terms:

Rubric can imply coloring, but need not. A rubric stands out on the page.

An Initial can be just slightly larger than the text, but must be distinctive. It stands out at least in the mass of text, and usually on the page.

Rubrics are always initials, initials are not always good at being rubrics.

Add to this that a rubric in old book work referred also to any letter that was printed or engrossed in red, such as the "R." used to show the response in psalters.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.