Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I want to know what that brown and a bit rough-textured paper called. Or if there is a word for it or none.

share|improve this question
Are you looking for parchment paper? –  Autoresponder May 29 '13 at 8:48

3 Answers 3

If the brown bits are spots, it would be called foxing:-

brownish spots on old paper

share|improve this answer

parchment paper is old writing paper, there's also blotting paper, which is like parchment paper but went under the parchment to absorb excess ink.

You can call it parchment paper or just parchment, both are correct.

share|improve this answer
Parchment is a predecessor of modern paper: parchment-like paper may well be what OP is looking for. –  TimLymington May 29 '13 at 9:18

You can you use any of the following: "Antique Paper", "Old Paper", or if you want it technical and associate it with design, you can use "Sepia Grunge Texture". Hope that helps..

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.