Sign up ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What do you call the geometric shape obtained when you give an ellipse thickness? Or in other words, a circle is to a cylinder as an ellipse is to what?

share|improve this question
The Q is based on a misconception. NARQ. –  Kris May 29 '13 at 6:32

1 Answer 1

A circle is to a cylinder as an ellipse is to a cylinder. As noted in wiktionary, a cylinder is

A surface created by projecting a closed two-dimensional curve along an axis intersecting the plane of the curve.

When the two-dimensional curve is a circle, the cylinder is called a circular cylinder. When the axis is perpendicular to the plane of the curve, the cylinder is called a right cylinder. In non-mathematical usage, both right and circular are usually implied.

You might say that a circle is to a right circular cylinder as an ellipse is to a right elliptical cylinder.

Ellipsoid is of course not the answer. A circle is to a sphere as an ellipse is to an ellipsoid.

share|improve this answer
Point taken, I'll delete my answer. –  terdon May 28 '13 at 19:20
@terdon, it does have nice pictures. –  jwpat7 May 28 '13 at 20:01
But is also quite wrong as I should have realized myself :). –  terdon May 28 '13 at 20:15

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.