English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to name a class representing objects that can be hidden and reshown. I'm wondering if there's a better term than "hideable object".

share|improve this question

closed as off topic by Andrew Leach, MετάEd, choster, Matt E. Эллен, Hellion May 28 '13 at 14:59

Questions on English Language & Usage Stack Exchange are expected to relate to English language and usage within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

This seems to be a question of computing terminology rather than a language question, since the hideable objects in question are apparently programming objects to be displayed or not displayed on screen. – TrevorD May 28 '13 at 10:52
Class-naming is explicitly off-topic. As a general rule, something which is descriptive is good: what is wrong with hideable? – Andrew Leach May 28 '13 at 11:13
I haven't been here in a while, so I forgot about the class-naming rule. Regarding your question, the word hideable seems esoteric (maybe it isn't), and for that reason I thought it might be a poorer choice than other, more vivid words (if they exist). – Andres Riofrio May 28 '13 at 12:08
This question is explicitly on-topic. Question is not about computer programming but about synonym for a word in English. – Petr Gladkikh Sep 17 '14 at 11:24
Why are StackExchange moderators so quick to close questions? That is the single thing I hate the most about this network. Just let people be already! Err on the side of assuming the best of people. Please... – Tyler Rick Jun 5 '15 at 23:28

I have recently had this very same dilemma. In the end I went with 'hidable'. It is extremely clear what is meant, and so is better than using a word like removable or the ugly toHide. It doesn't appear in every dictionary but according to Merriam Webster it is a word; though without the 'e'. That's good enough for me.

share|improve this answer
Doing a quick google search for hideable and hidable, it looks hideable is more popular! Also according to wictionary, they are alternative: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hideable – Afshin Moazami Mar 3 at 21:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.