English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm working on some project that deals with natural disasters. I need to find the most proper word that can be used to refer to someone who either was injured or died in a disaster.

Can I use casualty? Or maybe involved is better?

share|improve this question
fatality is another option – Ravindra Shekhawat May 15 '13 at 12:34

Perhaps victim is the word you are searching for:-

  1. a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.
share|improve this answer
I think that in the end i'll stick with casualty - i found this on wikipedia – gipouf May 15 '13 at 13:30
@royv, possibly you are right. Victim seems to be applied in a rather expansive manner nowadays. – Brian Hooper May 15 '13 at 13:40

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.