Take the 2-minute tour ×
English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Let's imagine that I want to say the following, replacing the word drab:

This painting is beautifully drab.

I'm particularly thinking of when you describe a piece of art. Usually something lacking in color is drab, but occasionally the lack of strong colors is appropriate and positive, if that makes sense.

I have searched through the thesaurus for synonyms of "drab" and antonyms to synonyms of "colorful". As far as I can tell all of the results are generally negative in meaning.

Is there a word or am I searching for something that does not exist?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

You could perhaps call it understated:-

restrained in design, presentation, etc.; low-key: the understated elegance of the house.

share|improve this answer
understated! That is the word I was looking for! I could almost feel a physical fizzle of connection in my brain when I read it. Cheers! –  David John Welsh May 15 '13 at 7:31
That's the best, but muted isn't too negative. –  Edwin Ashworth May 15 '13 at 10:30
Oh, that's good, too! Thanks, @Edwin –  David John Welsh May 15 '13 at 13:47

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.