English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to say that he came to terms with death but in a more formal way. How can I put it? Is conciliate the right word to use?

share|improve this question
Presumably we're talking about the subject's own death, not someone else's death? I notice you're talking in the past "came to terms with", as if the person has already died? – TrevorD May 13 '13 at 0:02

A couple of other phrases for the concept you're describing:

"he's resigned to his fate"

"he's reconciled to his imminent death"

"he's at peace with his own mortality"

share|improve this answer

People don't say either. Google N-grams reports no use of either phrase. Even a Google search of the phrases nets you less than 50 results for either.

"To come to terms with death" is a great phrase that carries a powerful connotation. But, other similar phrases are "move past" and "adapt."

share|improve this answer
How does one "move past" death? I'm not sure that phrase has the same meaning as "coming to terms" with death. – Kristina Lopez May 12 '13 at 20:21
I think you mean adapt to, but any of 'adapt death', 'adapt to death' or 'move past death' are peculiar enough to draw puzzled looks. (Just the first 3 sentences would have drawn an upvote from me; so often it is the last flourish that betrays one.) – TimLymington May 12 '13 at 22:05
  • accepted ...
  • came to accept ...
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.