English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which is the correct way to punctuate this sentence? Is the comma necessary?


The following is our initial estimate. It may be udpated, below.

The intent is to say that half a page from now, there may be updated text. This is not the actual context, but it is representative.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by aedia λ, Andrew Leach, Kris, MετάEd, Kristina Lopez May 10 '13 at 17:26

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Please, please, please give context to the quotation! – Andrew Leach May 9 '13 at 18:52
1. Check spellings: updated, not udpated. 2. In any case, "It may be updated, below." does not seem to make enough sense to the unsuspecting reader. Doesn't work. – Kris May 10 '13 at 11:41
Apparently the idea seems to be to say: "It may have been updated. Check below." – Kris May 10 '13 at 11:42

“It may be updated, below.” seems to be a better option, I guess.

One similarity is - "I will do it, soon."

share|improve this answer

I agree that "(see below)" is probably better, but I would not put a comma in the original as "below" directly indicates where the update will (may) appear.

share|improve this answer

'See below', or 'please see below', often in parentheses, are commonly used to indicate what you want to convey:

“It may be updated (see below).”

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.